Keeping Fishtown here for future generations depends on you.
Few commercial fishing sites still exist on the Great Lakes—and Fishtown is unique as a place that both attracts a large number of visitors and remains a working waterfront with an active commercial fishery. Since 2007, Fishtown Preservation has built an effective and successful historic preservation organization and has been devoted to the care of Fishtown.
We are now poised to embrace the opportunities of the future, but we need your help. The Campaign for Fishtown is a comprehensive campaign that consolidates Fishtown’s most pressing needs, including:
- Rehabilitate six structures—the shanties housing the Village Cheese Shanty, Carlson’s Fishery, and Diversions, as well as the Ice House, the Morris Shanty and The Otherside;
- Resolve infrastructure issues related to water flow, update utilities, improve public access to the site, and reintroduce native species to the landscape;
- Repaying the final installment of the debt incurred in connection with the acquisition of our Fishtown properties;
- Building an endowment to ensure the future care of Fishtown.
High water levels and increased flow over the Leland Dam beginning spring 2019 exacerbated structural issues to shanties that were already in critical condition (Village Cheese, Carlson’s Fishery, Morris Shanty) at the same time as causing damage to additional structures (Ice House, Otherside, Diversions).
Your investment now will ensure that Fishtown Preservation can take care of Fishtown into the future. In helping to fund this project, you will be part of a dedicated group of individuals, families and foundations who are preserving one of Michigan’s greatest treasures, Fishtown is a place where generations come—where the past and future are both alive.
Campaign Fundraising Updates
Campaign for Fishtown goal: $5,290,000
Total funds raised: $3,647,952
Balance to be raised: $1,599,376
- Debt retirement: final mortgage installment for the Fishtown property paid February 7, 2019;
- Total cost $790,000
- Fishtown site projects: rehabilitate six structures and make infrastructure improvements;
- Total cost $3,500,000
- Funds raised $2,395,000
- Remaining funds to be raised $1,105,000
- Build an endowment;
- Goal $1,000,000
- Funds raised $505,500
Making Your gift
You can support Fishtown:
- One-time gift of cash or securities
- Multi-year pledge, payable by December 31, 2022
- For more information call Amanda Holmes at 231-256-8878, or email [email protected]