Summer Internship Program
Have you ever wanted to learn more about Fishtown Preservation and the crucial work of preserving and protecting Leland’s historic fishing village? Are you interested in history, fishing, community-building, or non-profits? Are you a current college student in your junior or senior year during 2017-2018? Do you want your internship to be a meaningful, impactful experience in the most beautiful place in America? If your answer is “Yes” to those questions, then FPS has an opportunity for you.
The Fishtown Preservation Society’s Internship Program is designed for current college students entering their junior or senior year. This internship provides participants with a great opportunity to gain in-depth work experience in one of the few remaining fishing villages on the Great Lakes, and would be ideal for students of history, marketing, communications, environmental studies, historic preservation, or business.
We are seeking an energetic team player that is passionate about Fishtown. Responsibilities will be wide-ranging, including welcoming and educating visitors to Fishtown, working at the Fishtown Welcome Center, organizing and recruiting volunteers, planning and executing events, fundraising, administrative tasks, and other duties as needed. The intern will be spending time in the office as well as in our interpretation center in Fishtown.
- FPS expects intern to commit to 10-12 weeks of work, beginning in May or June of 2018.
- Flexible schedule of 25-35 hours per week. Weekend hours will occasionally be required.
- This will be a paid internship.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; able to communicate with diverse populations
- Professional demeanor
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs and social media
- Well organized; able to pay excellent attention to detail
- Able to carry out tasks independently, as well as work cooperatively with staff, volunteers, Board members, and vendors
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines
EXPERIENCE OR SPECIAL SKILLS DESIRED
- Knowledge about Fishtown and the Leland community
- Passion for Leelanau County, its history, and its people
- Willingness to take direction and critique and adjust accordingly
- Public service experience
- GPA of 3.00 or higher
Interested applicants should send a resume and a cover letter expressing interest to Amanda Holmes, Executive Director, by Monday, February 16, 2018. We will evaluate all submissions and schedule interviews with qualified candidates in the second week of March.
Contact: Amanda Holmes, Executive Director, [email protected] or by phone at (231) 256-8878